Continuing the internals

I continued to fillet and fibreglass all of the seams. When doing the front compartment, I need to use a length of timber as a spacer to hold the correct shape. However, once the fillets and the fibreglassing was complete in this section the compartment held the correct shape without the spacer. I also epoxied a thin batten of Tasmanian Oak along the full sheer as an inwale which also helped hold the shape even without the internal moulds.

IMG_5987

I added a piece of tassie oak across the top of the front bulkhead to provide strength and give me something to use to attach deck to when I come to put it on. IMG_6001

IMG_6005To finish off the front compartment I added a king plank that I had carefully shaped to fit snuggly in the bow and I cut a hole to fit a hatch that I bought from the local chandlery. Once I have added on the deck pieces, this will become a watertight (hopefully!) compartment that can be used for stowage. Since the taking the following photo, I gave the entire compartment a couple of coats of white paint which look good. IMG_6009

With the forward and rear compartments complete, I then added in the smaller bulkheads that will create the 2 seat ‘plinths’ and the 2 mirage drive housing. As with the other compartments, I filleted and added fibreglass tape to each of the seams. I didn’t worry about neatness in the spaces as they will be sealed up once completed and so I did the minimum amount of sanding. The following picture shows one of the mirage drive compartments fully completed and waterproofed with epoxy, awaiting the mirage drive housing and the top. IMG_6008

Below is the rear seat plinth awaiting the top to finish it and the rear mirage drive compartment with the top on temporarily to ensure the sides where in the correct alignment while the epoxy set. I had also laid out some masking tape around the seams to be filleted in the area between the seat plinth and the rear bulkhead. This is the first area that will have exposed fillets in the finished boat and I thought the masking tape would help keep the fillets neat which would reduce sanding. Unfortunately it did work very well and so I didn’t bother with it on any of the other sections – I will just have to do a bit more sanding to get it to look neat!IMG_5999

I finished off the mirage drive housings by epoxying the 2 halves together. I then gave the outside a light sand and wrapped the outside with a single piece of fibreglass to ensure that it was strong and resilient. IMG_5995

I used sandpaper to shape the bottom of the mirage drive housings to ensure they fit reasonably tightly to bottom of the boat and then glued them into place with a thick layer of well thickened epoxy. I made sure that some epoxy squeezed out from around all edges and used a paddle pop stick to create a watertight fillet.

The final picture shows the current status of boat as of today, 24/06/2017. Tomorrow I plan to complete the last of the fillets which will be a big moment – it is definitely not my favourite job! And then I need to sand them all … IMG_6015

Advertisements

One thought on “Continuing the internals

  1. Hi Phil,
    ‘Nice progress.
    I’d put at least 3 layers of glass cloth on the outside of the drive wells. You might want to reinforce the inside of the drive wells where the drives slot in. That foam isn’t very resistant to point crush.
    Cheers,
    Mack

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s